BAI Canada owns and operates shared Wi-Fi and cellular infrastructure that supports wireless communications services for Toronto Transit Commission riders within underground subway stations.
BAI Canada’s core business is building advanced wireless networks with expertise in the design, build, operation, maintenance and ownership of communications infrastructure. BAI Canada’s in-house capability and global experience means the Toronto Transit System (TTC) and its riders can trust in its ability to deliver an efficient and reliable network.
The TTC handles the third largest ridership in North America, accommodating nearly 85% of local transit trips made in the GTA. BAI Canada’s unparalleled capability in designing for challenging confined spaces, has been integral in maintaining a partnership that supports cooperative efficiency amongst BAI Canada, the TTC and its vendors.
The installation of this service comes at no cost to the TTC and Toronto taxpayers. In fact, it will generate revenue for the TTC. BAI Canada operates the wireless transit communications network and acts as an independent infrastructure owner for extending a variety of wireless carrier services to the TTC’s more than 1.6 million daily subway riders.
The first online services came to underground TTC stations in December 2013 at St. George and Bloor-Yonge stations. Subsequently, BAI Canada worked to successfully roll out Wi-Fi services to each downtown ‘Lower U’ station prior to the Pan-Am Games, held in Toronto during the summer of 2015. Since then, BAI Canada has been rapidly expanding their wireless offerings throughout the TTC system and plans to have all stations enabled by mid-2017.
BAI CANADA PROVIDES THESE BENEFITS TO TRANSIT AUTHORITIES
- Provides much desired wireless connectivity to the ridership
- Wireless coverage extension to underground subway systems
- Enable public safety applications, E911 access and location based services
- Support for operational systems and services
- Localized business promotion
- Backbone for data and video transit communications
- Provide a single platform for all wireless carriers to enhance traffic, data throughput and capacity
- Flexible to meet current and future technology and capacity needs